Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thistles
This afternoon I decided to declare war on the thistles in the Dam Paddock. I went out about 6.30pm with the mattock and an empty chaff bag. I intended to bag all the thistles but when the bag became full I left it and continued on leaving the thistles upturned. They ranged from small one hit wonders to thistles so high I had to cut them down in stages (only about 50cm high really). At the end of an hour I was hot and sweaty and puffing. It was as good as any workout in the gym, plus I killed lots of thistles at the same time (and it didn't cost anything). I then went for a brisk walk to round up the escapee sheep and cool down. By this time I was starting to lose the light. It's the best time of the day to work, though. In my exhausted state I dragged the full bag of thistles up to the shed and left it where the sun can bake them dry over the next few weeks.
In other news I have lost another kilogram, so I have now lost 15kg for the year. Plus Paul is talking to me again, so the future may not be as bleak as it once seemed.

No comments: