Friday, November 17, 2006

Bloody Snow
While it was snowing yesterday it was sort of exciting, even though it was freezing. My main worry was getting the sheep, lambs and Bobby into a paddock from which they could access the shed because they had no shelter where they were. And then of course I had to go to work. I didn't have anything in place or even think about saving the vegetables. Well, I've lost the lot - 40 potato plants (about 30cm high), almost as many bean seedlings (about 15cm high), four tomato plants and three pumpkin seedlings. The few beans and lettuce I had planted around the house tank seem okay (they are still standing at the moment), maybe they were sheltered a bit. We had 6mm of snow, which doesn't sound like much because it certainly looked like more, but that's what was in the rain gauge this morning.
It's pretty upsetting really, about the veggies that is. The potatoes were coming along nicely. I'll wait a while to see if any come good before I rip everything out and start again. I'm glad I hadn't planted the corn seedlings out, and I do have some more pumpkin seedlings in the shed too, plus some very tiny tomato seedlings. But of course the shed doors are open now to let the sheep in and that also lets a draft in that might affect the seedlings.
Steve and I went to see "An Inconvenient Truth" on Tuesday. It was good but they were probably only preaching to the converted, judging by the audience in the theatre. But after having snow in November, I think in our area we could do with a bit of global warming.

No comments: