Thursday, November 16, 2006


Snow, Fences and AI
This photo was taken at 8am this morning. It had been snowing since just after 6.30am when I went out to feed the chickens. (By the way I buried another chicken two days ago.) I brought the sheep down from the paddock on the hill to the Triangle Paddock, so they could have access to the shed. It's still freezing but all the snow has gone now. I hope my poor vegetables recover. The beans look a bit sad.
Yesterday I accepted a quote for $650 for building two fences (100 metres and 20 metres, both with gates). The previous quote I received was for $990. At that price I would have been building it myself. I'll get these two fences built and then at Christmas when my brother and Dad come to visit, we'll attempt to replace the fence down the middle of the property - there are no gates involved, so we may be able to manage it outselves.
On 28 November we are starting the process of getting our cows pregnant. They have an injection to bring on their cycle and then we monitor them. When they cycle the AI girl comes back to give them the semen. We have ordered two Poll Herefords and one Murray Grey. At the same time she will be checking if Lady is able to get pregnant. Around the same time I plan to send one cow to the butchers. Originally this was going to be Star, but that depends upon the outcome of Lady's investigation.

No comments: