Saturday, September 27, 2008

Weaving Workshop
I finished a weaving workshop a few weekends ago. It was four days in total, spread over three weekends with some weekends in between. I had completed a weaving workshop in 2006 with another instructor and I also wove my tea towels after that, but I had purchased a secondhand loom that I was a bit unsure of and had lost a bit of confidence in warping the loom in the mean time. We were given a warp that the instructor had wound previously, so there was no working out to do just warping the loom. Then we worked through some set examples to give us a variety of weaving experiences. Some of these were different and new to me. I have included a photo of my sampler. I particularly enjoyed the hem stitching effect and leno, Spanish lace, Brooks bouquet at the end of the sampler (apricot colour).
We then planned another project. I chose a simple scarf using some novelty yard and a variety of matching yarns to create a striped effect. I also skipped some dents in the reed to create an open look. While I'm weaving I am also not beating as hard also to create an open, loose fabric. I will include a photo of the completed scarf when I've finished. We are to finish our projects before the end of October and then all participants will come together for a show and tell.

No comments: