Friday, September 05, 2008

Six Naughty Cows (including Harry)

I walked around the perimeter of the fence down the back paddock today and discovered that the back fence seems fine but my cows were no where to be seen. However, in the distance on our neighbour's place I could see two white cows and their friends. So I climbed through the gaping hole in the gully fence and went over to retrieve them (all of them this time, not just "Harry"). I had a minor hiccup when "Star" jumped another fence but I got her back through two gates. But other than that they behaved themselves and walked back through the hole in the gully fence. I then proceeded to herd them up the hill and through the gate into the front 'half' of the property. They are now in all three western paddocks, hopefully eating the long brown grass that I was thinking of mowing down before spring arrives. The problem of the back side fence and the gully will have to wait for a while, but it will have to be solved soon.

Today I purchased the sheep tags I ordered a few weeks ago. I had to order pink tags for the sheep that weren't born on our property but still needed identification. I also purchased red and blue tags. I (or the shearer) will put blue tags on the merinos and red tags on the cross breeds. That way I can identify them at a glance. Especially "Fluffy" and "Pinkie" who are cross breeds but look very much like merinos. Plus with this new generation coming along I may run out of identifying features. So far I have only named and identified "Floppy", the others may prove more difficult.

We didn't have any new arrivals today. We did get more rain, though, although with wet wool that means shearing will be delayed. I haven't yet set a day or even a week for the shearing, as we still have two sheep to lamb. I was thinking of going ahead despite that but now they are wet from the rain, but at least they're not cold and wet with lovely woollen jumpers.

No comments: