Wednesday, September 03, 2008

New Fences & Pregnant Cows
I recently organised for a fencing contractor to finish the fences Paul started to divide up the large eastern paddock and create two wind breaks in which to plant trees for protection and shade for animals. The strainer posts were already in place and so the fencing contractor put in the star pickets and some in between posts for extra strength and a total of four gates with associated short mesh fences, and of course the wire and hinge joint. It took him less than a week in total time but cost me two months wages. It was necessary to be done, though, and he did a really good job. I now have three paddocks where I only had one. That means that the sheep can stay a month in each paddock and eat down the grass more effectively. It also means that I can move them around more frequently so there is less chance of getting worms.

A while ago I borrowed and read a book about a city lady who married and moved to the country. In the book she tells of her adventures and experiences. She also explained a quaint idea of how they named their paddocks after countries. So I had the idea that I would call the new paddocks Far East, Middle East and South East Asia (even though South East is actually north east but it is down the bottom). I think it's fun to take a light hearted approach.

Lately I have been having problems with keeping "Harry" in our back paddock, but now I hear this morning that "Star" has taken to going through yet another fence, the very back fence into the neighbours. I can't afford any new fences at the moment so I hope the neighbours can mend the part "Star" is getting through. I went down the back on Monday morning (after my pumping success) to visit the cows and check the hole in the fence over the gully. I discovered "Harry" on the other side of the fence by himself. I got him back through the hole and patched it yet again with bits of wood and bits of wire. Now I will have to go down there again on Friday to inspect the back fence to see how bad it is. While I was down the back on Monday I took a photograph of the cows to show how round and pregnant they look. By my calculations we should have calves in late November or December.

No comments: