Monday, September 15, 2008

Shearing
A shearer came to shear the sheep on Tuesday 9 September (that was last week, time got away from me a bit). We also put in ear tags (that's the royal we, actually the shearing contractor put in the ear tags). I had to buy the regulation pink tags to indicate which sheep were not born on our property prior to ear tagging. They are printed with our PIC number, which is our property identification. I decided to put a blue tag on our merinos and a red tag for our cross breeds, so I could identify them at a glance. So the six sheep we had before ended up getting two tags. Plus we put rings on the lamb's tails and wethered our one little boy (which is a merino, so I'll keep him).

Twin Lambs
I went to check the sheep on Friday 12 September and perhaps try and milk Ebony. The shearers said that she had lost her lamb, even though we didn't actually see it. Perhaps it was born dead and Bobbie let a fox take it or something. But even though she didn't have a lamb her udder seemed to be getting larger and I didn't want her to get mastitis. But when I arrived I saw that "Spotty Ears" had had a tiny lamb and there was another one sticking out the back of her and she seemed to be having trouble. There was a head and one hoof out but not two hooves, as lambs were supposed to present. She stood still and let me try and find the other leg but I couldn't find it (everything in there was just slippery and smooth, nothing that felt like another hoof). And I didn't want to try and pull just one leg and the head. Well, I did try a little bit but didn't know how hard I could pull. The lamb was still alive and I didn't want to loose either of them, so I rang our next door neighbour, who came straight away. He acted very quickly, got her on the ground (of course she wasn't going to just stand still and let him help get her lamb out like she did for me), and with both hands reached in and pulled the lamb out. It appeared to be easy but I'm sure it was more difficult than that. Poor "Spotty Ears" was in a lot of pain judging by the noises she was making and was exhausted when it was over. Our neighbour rubbed some of the mucus surrounding the lamb onto her nose (so she wouldn't reject the lamb) and put the lamb up near her neck, while she lay there recovering. I stayed with them a while because there were crows circling. I hate crows. It didn't take long for "Spotty Ears" to get up and start licking her lambs and in no time they were dry, standing and feeding. Thank goodness for neighbours who know what they're doing! After a bit I picked up the lambs and with mother in tow I took them to the shed and set them down on a feed bag and left some food and water for mum while I went off to town and then to work. "Spotty Ears" is a wonderful mum. The other day it was cold and windy and sprinkling and all the other sheep and lambs were outside but she was in the shed with her twins keeping warm. By the way, Ebony's udder seems to be reduced in size today, so I may not have to milk her now. That's sad about her lamb, I was looking forward to a little black lamb.

Other News
I finished my weaving workshop this weekend. It was over four days spread over a month or more. We wove a sample, which included a few things I had never tried before. Then we wound a warp and threaded the loom for a project of our own. When I get a chance in the daylight, I'll photograph both my sampler and the weaving in progress of my project, which is a multi-coloured (maroon, grey, olive green and yellow) open weave scarf that I chose mainly to use the yarn I already had. Once I have finished this I'm sure I'll have the confidence to weave another set of tea towels. Then I can try something more challenging using a different technique.

Random Comment
Don't you just love the full moon. I came home late tonight after collecting my son from Kung Fu and I didn't need a torch when walking back from the shed after 8.30pm. It is such a surreal feeling being able to see at night.

No comments: