Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Miracle Lamb
This morning I saw that one ewe was apart from the rest with a new lamb and went over to say hello, expecting it to be "Spotty Ears". But when I got closer I could see it was a merino, it was "Original Mum". Now, she had a lamb eight days ago, I called it "Sparkle" and it died the next day. Now she was having another lamb ... I have not seen nor heard of that happening before. The lamb seemed to be very weak though (above). Sometimes lambs are jumping around and bleating noisily within a matter of hours.
On Monday "Pinkie" had a very small and weak lamb (below). Of course I was hoping it would be all right but I found it dead the next morning and I wasn't surprised. Steven buried it for me. I know I sound blaze about it now, but I realise that it's survival of the strongest.
More lambs have died this year than in any previous year. We lost two the first year (one through a birthing problem and one after Polo died) but this year we have lost three already and we haven't finished lambing yet. Last year we didn't lose any. It has been pretty cold though and they don't have access to the shed. But even if they have access they don't always go in there for protection. It was bad timing. Next time I will time it so that they are in the paddock next to the shed, hopefully.

No comments: