Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Four New Lambs!
This morning while feeding the chickens I noted three sheep apart from the rest and sure enough all three of them had lambs. When I got there they looked like they had only just been born. The rest of the sheep and Bobbie didn't even know they'd been born. "Original Mum", a merino, had a beautiful white lamb whose fleece shone in the morning sun, so I will call her/him "Sparkle" or "Sparkie" if it is a boy, and it will be kept either way for its fleece. None of the mums would let me get close enough to see whether they were boys or girls. Maybe I'll have a better look over the next few days. "Cross", a cross breed as the name suggests, had one lamb too, although I thought she may have twins like last time. Her lamb was a dirty colour, but that was probably more from dirt that the colour of the fleece. "Big Baby", another merino, had twins like last time, although one seems a bit weak. I haven't included a photo of her twins, as in the photo I took in the morning one lamb appeared to be dead, which I took sort of as a record. But as I got closer I could see it was still breathing and it actually raised its head and bleated. In the afternoon just before sunset both twins were sitting together and seemed quite perky. I saw one feed but not the other, so I have my fingers crossed that the weaker one survives. Another ewe, "Ebony", my black sheep, is about to have her lamb/s any day. I thought she would have hers first but obviously not. Only 7 of my 10 ewes are pregnant (I think) but "Ebony" is the only imminent birth, as the others aren't any where near as big, so the lambing will probably be a drawn out process.

No comments: