Friday, October 13, 2006

New Growth
Yesterday, when I was watering my newly planted vegetables, I noticed a few green shoots pushing their way through the earth. At the beginning of the season when you first see some new growth you get an excited feeling and a promise of things to come. Today there were about five potato shoots showing and about five beans, plus the lettuce seeds sown near the house tank are also sprouting. Although I planted some tomato seeds, I bought two tomato seedlings today (Black Russian and Grosse Lisse). The lady in the shop suggested I keep them inside the shed for a little while longer. She thought that winter still had one more frost to come. This makes for a very short growing season.
In other news, the vet came to look at Bobby yesterday. Ever since shearing he has been sitting down and lying down a lot more than usual. Last year our first alpaca got an infection and died very quickly. I was very worried that something like that would happen again. But the vet said that even though he may have been stressed by the shearing and a little bit cold without his fleece, he seemed okay to him.

No comments: