Sunday, October 08, 2006

Gardening
I had a couple of hours gardening this afternoon. Nothing too strenuous, just weeding, preparing garden beds ready for this season's vegetables. Last weekend I planted my potatoes and some beans. I also planted tomato seeds. Today I planted carrot seeds and corn seeds. Not many of these plantings have been according to the moon but I have left things a bit late and time is of the essence. The best thing about this afternoon is that I worked until I could hardly see what I was doing. When I do this I feel as if I have not wasted any daylight (of course I did start late).
Earlier today I also collected two very large boxes of pine cones for use in the combustion stove, although I'm are not using it every day as I have been. Yesterday I pumped water from the dam up to the tank on the hill. Today I walked to the top of the hill and checked the level, which is now about two thirds full. The dam is pretty empty, though.
Yesterday I also moved the temporary netting fence in the sheep's paddock across to allow them access to another quarter of the paddock. Some of the sheep still get through occasionally but the majority of them stay on the right side. On Friday night we came home late and found a lamb caught in the netting. He was tangled so badly that I had to cut the black plastic vertical connectors in order to free his head. The poor little thing was so exhausted and traumatised that when I had freed him he just lay there and had to be encouraged to get up and go to his mother.

No comments: