Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Profit on Wool
Bobby was shorn on 11 October. I had no trouble getting him on the trailer and off the trailer at the other end. He walked on the lead very well and made me look like I knew what I was doing. I now have another bag of brown alpaca fleece. I have actually started spinning one of his fleeces from a previous year, although I have a long way to go.
The sheep were also shorn on 15 October. Steve stayed over to help me with the skirting and bagging the fleece. This year I borrowed two bale bags from the wool brokers, one for merino and one for the cross breeds. We kept two of the merino lambs fleeces separate. And of course we bagged Ebony's grey wool and Coco's black wool separately, plus Rambo's wool because it was short, as he was shorn at crutching time this year. I didn't take a photo of either the sheep all naked and white or the wool haul but I guess that never changes. Although, I would have liked to have shown the comparison between the two small bags of merino lambs wool (one was accidentally put with the rest of the merino, otherwise there would have been three) that sold for more than the huge bale of 7 cross breed fleeces. I have today paid for the shearing and I sold the wool last week, making a profit of $140!

No comments: