Saturday, November 21, 2009

Blackberries Be Gone
Over the last year my Dad has been progressively trying to eradicate selected patches of blackberries, working away at them with the mower and whipper snipper with a steel disk instead of line. About a month ago he finished cutting down a large patch of blackberries on the walls of the front dam. Then three weekends ago I sprayed the new shoots that had emerged since Dad had finished cutting using a backpack spraying device that had been bought years ago and never been used. The poison I used was called Erase Biaquatic Total Weed, which was supposed to be frog and fish friendly but would kill blackberries. I also sprayed a few stray blackberries coming up through the wood piles next to the wood shed. After three weeks they are actually showing signs of being sick. Some leaves are yellowing and curling. I haven't been over to the dam since I sprayed but I think I will have to spray them a second time to actually kill them. I was going to do that this weekend but it was way too hot to be outside spraying weeds. Maybe another weekend. I have included a photo of the cleared area. Unfortunately, we don't have a 'before' photo. This whole area was covered with at least 1 metre high blackberries.

No comments: