Sunday, December 03, 2006

Brownie AI'd
On Friday morning I checked the cows and Brownie's heat/pressure patch was white. When I checked in the afternoon it had activated and was red and dirty brown, so she had been ridden during the day. (I have included a photo of Brownie's activated patch.) Plus I saw Brownie trying to ride Lady, something I hadn't seen before (Lady being so big). So, a 7am on Saturday morning (no sleep-in) Brownie was artificially inseminated and the AI girl said she was sure it would be successful. Lady on the other hand was a different story. She may not have been cycling anyway, but when the AI girl felt inside her she said she could find the cervix but couldn't find the opening and although she wasn't quite sure what was wrong, she said she didn't feel right. So, together with the fact that Lady had already been with a bull for two months and the fact that she is much larger than normal cows, we're thinking she may have reproductive problems. All this is leading to the decision to send her to the butchers in January instead of Star. I guess this is why people say not to become too attached to animals you may have to eat.

No comments: