Saturday, January 10, 2009


Two New Calves
Freda had a little brown calf on Christmas Day (or maybe the day before) and my sister named her Chrissy. I thought I had already put this up but with my family visiting over Christmas and Steven and Lucy moving out on New Year's Eve and starting back at work, I have been distracted. Freda is a very protective mum and Chrissy is very shy, so thank goodness for a zoom lens. I have included one photo taken on Christmas Day and two on New Year's Day.


Then today Star had a boy calf. He is a beautiful grey colour with a white star on his forehead just like his mum. I haven't come up with a name yet - I'm calling him Mini-Star for the time being. I have been checking with binoculars each morning knowing the three remaining cows were due soon and this morning I could see Star by herself and sort of swaying her backside and I had a feeling something was going to happen. And when I was out feeding the chickens a bit later I could see that she had already had it. I went inside to fetch the camera and as I was walking up the hill I could see that the other cows also knew something had happened and they were all hurrying to see the newborn. I stayed up there watching Star licking him all over. I also went the other side of the fence so she didn't feel threatened, but I don't think she will be as fiercely protective as Freda. On the first day when I was trying to take photos of Chrissy, Freda almost charged me twice. And Freda used to let me pat her, although Star hasn't let me pat her for a while.

While all the other cows were milling around, I thought I'd take photos of my other cows too. Below left is my fine specimen of a steer, Harry, with Sandy and Star behind. And on the right we have a very pregnant Jemma, and a beautifully coloured Brownie, with Freda and Chrissy in the background.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jemmas coat looks great

Linda said...

Yes, they are all really healthy cows. And I assume you mean the black cow, that's Freda.