Thursday, January 02, 2014

Shearing

Early October 2013
 
Shed Flooring

Before shearing I wanted to make it easier for the shearers to fetch the next sheep for shearing than it has been, so I constructed a elevated slatted area for a small pen on the same level as the shearing platform.  I used old pallets and tomato stakes for the flooring and sheep panelling for the dividers and gates.  It was a bit of work but I am pleased with the result.  I intend to extend this raised area, probably after crutching next year

 14-15 October 2013

Sheep in Veggie Garden and Orchard
The shearing was delayed and the grass had been eaten down and not grown, because there was no rain, and I didn’t want to move the sheep to the next paddock before they were shorn, so I moved them into the veggie garden and orchard.  I hadn’t done this before but it gave the sheep fresh grass and I didn’t have to mow this area. 

 









 
24 October 2013

Shearing

Bobby had been shorn on 13 October and after resetting the date a few times the sheep were finally shorn on 24 October.  Steve helped with sheep handling and skirting, I couldn’t have done it without him.


 











No comments: