Monday, February 18, 2013

Natural Dyeing Workshop

I had a very enjoyable afternoon on Saturday at a Natural Dyeing Workshop. The photo is of everyone's samples and a few larger projects with commercial dyes. For the natural dyeing we used a selection leaves, bark, flowers and berries and all had a sample skein in each, then added mordants which changed the colour with a second sample skein. I have wanted to do this for ages but hadn't had the time or opportunity. I look forward to being able to use natural dyeing for a project.


The photo is of my natural dyeing samples.  The colours were obtained from (left to right) Crabapple bark, Walnut shells, Ivy berries (immature) and leaves, undyed, Wattle (Cootamundra), Wattle + Copper, Yellow Paper Daisies, Yellow Paper Daisies + Copper, Blackberries, Blackberries + Copper, Dahlias, Dahlias + Copper, Buddleia + Iron (didn’t get my skein in first batch).   I'm thinking now that I might make something using all the samples, but I don't know what just yet.



No comments: