Sunday, February 01, 2009

Milking Jemma
I thought I would leave Jemma and her calf for a few days since all the other cows were so protective at first, plus I was busy with work and other things. Then this morning I saw the cows at the top of the hill, so went up there to say hello. The first three calves were being looked after by Star but there was no sign of Jemma's calf. Thinking it may have been asleep somewhere nearby I asked Jemma to show me where her calf was. Now I know they don't understand what I'm saying but they do understand, if you know what I mean. Anyway she started walking away down the hill, stopping to look around to see if I was following. I followed her to the middle of the top eastern quarter of the back paddock, where she started to look around in a large circle. I am thinking this is where her calf may have died and where she last saw her. There was no sign of her now. She then walked over to the large pine in the middle of the paddock and then back up to where the rest of the herd were. The poor thing. She let me pat her all over and her udder was quite large and tight. And she actually let me milk her a little. So I went back, had my breakfast, and returned with a freshly washed stainless steel bucket (purchased years ago for this very purpose), a warm clean cloth to clean her teats and a clean tea towel to cover the bucket on the return walk.
She was very good and mostly stayed still. I just knealt down near her (no stool) to milk one teat at a time with my other hand holding the bucket. The only time I tried to use both hands she kicked the bucket over. I couldn't reach the teats on the other side, so I had to milk one side and then go around to the other side. In the end I managed to milk half a cup, which would have been more if I hadn't spilt some. I'm going to try again this afternoon and maybe every day. At least until I know she's not going to get mastitis or something. Maybe next time I'll bring a halter. It's a pitty I don't have the cattle yards and milking bail.
I have strained the milk and it's in a jug in the fridge. I intend to have it on my breakfast tomorrow. I might even get more this afternoon. This is quite unexpected. It's sad that she lost her calf - particularly since we can't even find it. But a new adventure has started.
I thought I would include two photos taken the day Jemma's calf was born (or the day after), because the previous photo I included you couldn't see that she actually had a calf.

No comments: