Saturday, May 17, 2008

My Cows are Back
I realise that they've been in our back paddock for about five weeks now but they're back down the front where I can see them now. Yesterday I separated my cows and Harry from the other herd (whose numbers were closer to 30 then 20 as I originally said). I came across Brownie first and after talking to her she called out to Harry, who was on the other side of the herd, he answered and came running. I then called out to the other four and they answered, although they didn't actually come over. So I walked amongst the herd and the other cows moved away, leaving my girls. Then with a few hand claps and encouragement I got them moving toward the fence. Brownie joined us and started heading for the dam, so we all just followed her. But when we got to the dam she continued on to the fence. (I think she went that way to skirt around the bull, who was actually between us and the gate to the other paddock.) Then I just walked ahead of them up to the gate. When I opened the gate they started running and kicking up their back legs, they were so excited about changing paddocks. Luckily there were enough of them to still feel part of their own herd and didn't mind leaving the other cows. (I remember how difficult it was separating Lady from a neighbour's herd, she had become attached to them and didn't want to leave.)
Later that morning our neighbours came and collected their cows and the bull. The cows did a good job of eating down the grass, which it badly needed. The dam has a bit of a beach, which is very churned up with hoof prints, but there is still quite a lot of water there (which I hadn't checked during their stay, so I'm glad). I'll give the back paddock a bit of a rest for a while.
And so now I just have to wait and see how many of my cows are pregnant. And then in nine months time we should have some baby calves - I can't wait!

No comments: